View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 PM

I once played a guitar (not a taylor) that sounded to my ear as being totally in synch with itself. Every string when strummed seemed to resonate exactly in line with each other and faded to silence at exactly the same rate. There was not a single overtone out - every part of the note seems to resonate in synch on every string. It was like playing a synthesizer except it was acoustic.

It was pretty nifty to play it and experience it for a few minutes but beyond that, the tone and even the resonance became so uniform that it was boring. You could say it was perfectly balanced in every way but if it is too coherent and in phase, it can end up sounding lacking in colour.

Therefore i wonder if it may not be wholly desirable to have a top that vibrates too uniformly. Could it be that the chaos who is seen as the enemy by the v class bracing school is the very thing that helps make the tone interesting?