View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Default Building Course: African Blackwood/German Spruce OM

Around 18 months ago,I decided to make whatever resources I had available, and I commenced my endeavour to build my own guitar. I had seen an ad posted by Casimi guitars (www.facebook.com/casimiguitars www.casimiguitars.com) who were located conveniently close to me, and decided to check out what they were all about...actually, it was reversed, I first saw the ad, then checked them out, then decided to go for it. Anyway, that's irrelevant.
So in April 2013 I started my 16 month process of building (heavily supervised and assisted) a guitar.

Though we started from the very beginning, on a giant drawing board, with pencils and paper, I decided to go with a slightly modified Casimi design rather than one of my own, since they had designed guitars before and I had honestly never tried.
I like the way they shape their guitars, particularly in that they are able to somehow make a very deep cutaway on their favoured 12fret neck join, but somehow disguise it and have it not stand out.

I am now just two or three weeks away from stringing this thing up, and completely overrun with anticipation.

Back pieces as they arrived from lmii:

Thickness sanded them down to 4mm, joined the pieces and cut the back to a slightly oversized shape, then it looked like this:

Joined the top pieces:

Put my centre strip brace on the back and shaped it:

gluing in some back braces:

Which were then shaped with a tiny plane before scalloping:

I had to build a mould first...my guitar has a slightly softer cutaway than the Casimi model on which it is based:

My tailblock and neck block going in. Shaping these two pieces was one of the hardest tasks in the building of this guitar. I went through more than one piece of sapele and Khaya on each of those.

Kerfling going in with some bevel blocks...these were also a mission to shape, though not as tricky as the neck block.

...and it's all in: