View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 01:55 PM

I bought my J15 Sunburst because I LOVE Sunbursts. I had always wanted a Gibson acoustic and could never afford/justify the expense. At the time a J15 with a Sunburst wasn't listed in any catalog or literature but Gibson was making 4-5 one-offs per year. From what I can find, each one seems to be a unique combination of sunburst top with various other finish customization on the back, sides, and neck.

I came into a small inheritance and spent a portion of it on my J15 from Music Villa in Bozeman, MT. The fine folks there told me their Gibson rep would come over a few times a year with Sunburst J15 models and they bought every one he would bring.

Sorry for the digression...

My J15 is a wonderful sounding instrument that I've been told sounds about 75% like a J45. I can't say how true that is because I've never A/B'd them. I can say the guitar has a deep rich bass and beautiful highs. Compared to my Martins, it has a bit more pronounced mid-tones.

When I play it at church it is the only instrument in our choir so I can't say how it cuts through the mix because it IS the mix. The sound works very well with vocals so if you're a singer/songwriter or a solo player, I'd bet it would work very well for you.

For what it's worth, I've never played a J15 whose sound I didn't like. It is a remarkably consistent guitar from instrument to instrument.

I say, "Buy it." Gibson really hit it out of the park with the J15. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Best,
PJ