View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizen View Post
2. Get another amp. I believe that there are relatively small differences from one amp to the next. One comment that i can never understand is when people mention that a particular type of speakers "really loves a lot of power / watts" - I mean, surely this only applies to cranking up the sound while preventing clipping and distortion etc.
It can also apply to two other situations: inefficient speakers and prevention of low-end compression.

Inefficient speakers tend to need more power to get moving, just like a sitka guitar top needs more right-hand effort than a cedar top to put out sound at the low-end of the dynamic range. That figures right into the second topic, dynamic response:

While we tend to think of bass being occupied by the long, thick droning notes, the truth is that dynamic modern kick drum and classical tympanies live down there are well. Bass is a power hog and will soak up the overhead of your amp much quicker than treble. The first effect you will often hear is compression of the dynamic range, way before you hear distortion. The result is a flat sound without dynamics. The two ways to avoid it are 1) to have plenty of reserve power to prevent compression and allow plenty of dynamics or 2) use a powered subwoofer with a crossover to take the low-end reproduction chores away from the main amp and speakers.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)