View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 11:17 AM

Default Another Fusion player here

Recently acquired a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE and am “auditioning” string choices myself. This guitar is similar to yours, but has rosewood back and sides so YMMV with maple. I’m new to nylon, but long time steel string player (Martin and Larrivee guitars) and not necessarily looking for traditional “classical guitar” tone. Here is what I’ve found out so far…

Changed out the original set of strings (Savarez Corum Alliance High Tension 500AJ) about 4 weeks ago. Really liked these, but curious about other options. I got a split set- Savarez 510MR New Cristal/Alliance NT, Treble Set and Savarez Cantiga NT, Bass Set. I didn’t really notice a “nickel’s worth” of difference in the bass set with respect to tone, just slightly softer feel under the fingers. Great tone and nice feel in the bass strings. The trebles were a different story…

The original set (Savarez Alliance) were all fluoro carbon trebles and sounded quite nice. The new treble set contained the Alliance “G’ and Cristal “B” and “E” strings. Don’t know for sure whether it was due to the lower tension or the string composition (nylon) but, the Cristal trebles seems a bit flat or less bright than the Alliance trebles- not necessarily a good or bad thing, but less desirable for my style.

Just this past weekend put on a treble set of Oasis GPX+ Carbon HT. Had heard good reviews of these. These sound great. I think the high tension was a small part of the improvement, but I think mostly it was the fluoro carbon composition, bright, bell-like tone with good projection and sustain. This has pretty much convinced me that my Fusion definitely benefits from carbon trebles over nylon.

Next set up (i.e., sitting in drawer waiting) is D'Addario EJ51 Pro Arte HT Recording Classical with polished basses. I’ll report back when stringing these up, but that’s likely a couple of months down the road.

Please keep us abreast of your experiences. I searched a lot, but found little feedback from Fusion players on their string “adventures.”

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE
2021 Alvarez AP66ESHB Parlor
2020 Fender Special Custom Telecaster FMT
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan