View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 AM

I steamed off the necks of 3 Yamaha FG's last weekend. 1973 FG-160, 1974 FG-170 & a FG-180 with no serial number or markings on the inside. I've also done a 1973 FG-200. All shallow dovetails with hide glue. A 10 degree dovetail angle vs. 20 degrees I've seen in the only other neck reset I've done. The neck joint is 1/8" to 3/16" to the heel side of the 15th fret. There's also a huge 1/2" wide pocket it the center for the truss rod head.

I drilled 3 holes. 1 on 3/4" to each side of center, and one in the middle into the big pocket. I alternated steaming each hole for 6 minutes total. I used a neck jig I built, which was clamped to the table. With pressure from the screw on the jig, a few side to side wiggles and the necks popped off. I didn't wiggle the neck until I saw a little vertical movement from the screw pressure. I assume less chance of snapping the heel in half.

I think the problem is they used glue on all neck surfaces including the outer surfaces, gluing the heel to the sides of the guitar.