View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD18JBGuy View Post
Yep, they are really nice strings. I just did as comparison between the DR Sunbeams and the Martin SP 92/8 PB strings on two of my Martin dreads. I burned through four sets of strings, but it was worth it for testing purposes. I strung both my HD-18JB (sitka/mahogany) and my HD-28V with DR Sunbeams and played them for a good couple of hours. I then replaced them with the Martin SPs to compare.

Being that the sound of the new strings was fresh in my head, I though it would be the best way to compare. I have to say, that they were very close in sound, but I still preferred the Martin strings over the DR Sunbeams on both guitars. They just sounded better. However, given the short life of the Martin strings, the Sunbeams may suit people a little better. I don't mind changing strings often, so I have stuck with the Martin SPs for now, but I do love the Sunbeams too.
Interesting comparison. I have always liked Martin SP strings, too.

From my viewpoint, the reason for trying the DR Sunbeams was in an effort to find a medium string set that was easier to play compared to hex-core mediums. (This was Rich's recommendation, who commented here on this thread, as well.) The DR Sunbeam "medium-heavy" strings (same as other brand mediums) are easier on the fingers and hands and allow me to get by with mediums on one guitar (in particular) that just sounds weak with light strings.

On the 3 guitars I have that use light strings, I am using either Martin SP or D'Addario lights (either EXP or EJ16 PB) and generally I use these strings interchangeably. I've never tried DR Sunbeams in light gauge. I should...

Thanks, Glenn