View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Thank you so much Hairpuller, for posting this video...AMAZING TONE. The kind of recorded tone I have been dreaming of all my life.
And thank you GlennWilliow for posting all those videos of Carl Miner. I had not heard of him before, even though I have seen a ton of videos by the North American Guitar. He is magnificent. I watched each and every one of those videos you posted. I was totally mesmerized.
Many Top notch engineers say this in regards to getting great sound:
First Choose a great Player. Then Choose the right instrument. Then choose a microphone.
This is the perfect example of a Great player, on so many great guitars. Each time he sounds perfect. The Player is definitely the most import part of a great recording. Next of course a great guitar, of which all the ones Carl Played were outstanding.
And for the microphone? What Carl Was using in these videos? SCHOEPS! I have listened to a ton of microphones, and Schoeps is one of the best, if not the best microphones for capturing the true tonal structure of a good guitar. Other great mics are Gefells, Neumanns, Senheisers & AKG. All are great, but for myself, Schoeps records the body of a Dreadnought the way I hear it.