View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 11:53 AM

Kev, thanks for taking the trouble to post those videos. Very helpful, especially #1, where the mics are more easily isolated. I sure like the sound you're getting...both sonically and musically. I'm afraid you may be encouraging my ribbon mic GAS!

Cheers,
Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I very seldom do X/Y but think most pan it Hard right and left..

I mostly do spaced pair (of ribbons btw) and because I sing also when I do my most of my video series, I often record a guitar and vocal at the same time and thus have my vocal LDC center ( which also picks up some guitar bleed) so basically what Doug was describing a 3 mic guitar situation.

In the video below it is like what Doug was saying spaced pair and a mid mic also..

The camera angle is a bit off, and the LDC is actually pretty close to center between the ribbons (panned Hard left and right )

This video is more typical but still more or less spaced pair with a mid guitar/vocal mic. and the ribbons doing double duty for recording both acoustic and electric guitars ( the electric guitar has the same space pair config -- BUT is positioned vertical to catch both speaker cabinets of the stack )

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage