View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev0882 View Post
I found this one. It’s not the prettiest, but I like how it gives you a lot of bass notes over chords... what do you guys and gals think?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283570685182
1. No chord chart that will fit on an average wall and still be legible (without a magnifying glass) will be "comprehensive"

2. Some of the chords on that chart are wrong, so that's hardly great. Let me see how many I can correct before I get bored:

(i) The "A#" chords would all be much better called "Bb" chords. A# chords are extremely rare. Bb chords are much more common. To an actual musician, the difference matters. (I mean obviously they sound the same, but the correct name matters.)
The same applies to most of the "D#" chords. "Eb" would be a more likely root name.

(ii) The shape labelled "A/D" is x-x-0-0-2-2 (D-G-C#-F#), which is no such thing. Should be x-x-0-2-2-0.

(iii) "A11" is Em7/C#, a rather nasty sound, with no A in it anyway.

(iv) "A7(9+)" is an unorthodox symbol, hard to make sense of, but the shape given is nonsensical anyway. It's an A7#5 with F# bass!

(v) "A9" actually shows E/A, which will sound like an incomplete Amaj9. A9 needs a G natural (and a C#).

(vi) "Am(7#)" is another nonsense symbol, and the shape shown is Fadd9/A.

OK, now I'm bored, and I didn't even get to the end of the A's. I guess you take the point: this is about as unreliable as one can imagine a chord chart could be. It was obviously made by a musical illiterate. Don't buy it. If you've already bought it, throw it away. (Sorry, recycle it... save it for wrapping Xmas presents )

My advice? Don't waste time on chord charts. Get a bona fide chord dictionary, from a reputable publisher. If you want a pretty music poster for your wall, get one with pictures of guitars or something, or maybe the circle of 5ths.

Last edited by JonPR; 11-14-2019 at 07:11 AM.