View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Mmm, cryo treatment of nickle silver defies all logic to me, not saying it does not work as I really not up to date on cryo treating, but nothing in the mix can harden vee temperature variations.

I was taught mettalurgy as part of an apprenticeship i did in my younger years, nickle silve is typically copper, zinc and nickle, this composition only gets harder through cold working, we use heat to soften it again.

If a customer wants hard nickle silver you can roll it and then unroll it and roll it again a few times, this will dramatically increase the hardness

Steve
Yeah I don't know myself. But the cryo part of it does mean cold. Basically like when they cut your head off and put it in some sort of cryo solution so that maybe one day you will be Buck Rodgers, this cryo wire is also dipped in a cold solution.

Sounds gimmicky, I totally agree, and it probably is. But, it's not that expensive in the shop and might even make more money in the marketing department.

Re-reading what you say, when you say 'cold working' I think you mean room temperature manipulation and or hammering and folding of the metal? I know nothing of it so sorry for my ignorance.