View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
Man that one is yours! It looks awesome.

That's funny because when I asked Jeremy about the scoop cutaway, he said I just finished one of those and was totally open to doing it. That was one of the reasons I thought he was the guy to do my build. I half expected resistance because you know it's non-traditional (Side note I did approach a different well known US based luthier and he wasn't interested in the scoop cutaway - he thought I should just get the standard cutaway instead. So I kept shopping).

If you don't mind here's a pic for everyone:

sdfsdf by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr
Yep, that’s my guitar! The scoop is a night and day dfference, especially when coupled with the elevated fretboard. Playing a 12 or 14 fret guitar back to back with this is a real eye opener. There is no perceptible disadvantage sonically.

I also approached a few different luthiers, some were open to my ideas, some wanted no part. But Jeremy was ready to tackle torrefecation and scoops and he was ALREADY building adjustable necks, multiscales, tornavoz, sound ports, elevated fretboards, modern bracing, and 12 hole tie blocks.

There are little hints that he does which go a long way, like on the bridge, the string holes are lined with aluminum ferrules so your strings don’t chew into the wood. He was familiar with my request to move the nut slots slightly away from the high ‘e’ edge of the fret board since some classical players have strings slip off the edge on them.

Tristan, if you have the luxury fly or drive up to Montreal to get your guitar. My wife and I combined it with a vacation to Montreal/Quebec City and it was great to meet Jeremy and talk shop with him.