View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 PM

Default Classical Build Thread - Jeremy Clark Cedar/Gombeira

For some unknown reason I've been strongly gravitating towards classical music and guitar for about the last 3-4 years, don't ask me why but I have. (I think it all started when I was watching Bachoholic videos here on the AGF!) So I'm super pumped to have found a builder who I think makes killer guitars and is totally cool with the non-traditional features that I want. That builder is Jeremy Clark.

Jeremy is based in Montreal and specializes in making classical guitars. He has a unique aesthetic (especially in the classical world) and his guitars sound amazing.

The specs are:

specs by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

Here's the wood for the job:

It starts with a pile of wood by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

The Gombeira back:

Gombeira by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

Jeremy started on the guitar this week so far he has the worked on the sides - in Jeremy's words - What you are seeing in this shot is what makes up your structured sides prior to bending/lamination. There is the outer layer of Gombeira, the western red cedar core, and the inner layer of Alaskan yellow cedar. Based on the individual properties of the materials certain variables need to be tweaked to meet a particular target weight for the rim set.

image1 by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

And he's thinking about the back - When you requested a “disconnected” inlay on the head (like that other guitar) I knew I had to put my thinking cap on. The last inlay contributed to the visual theme of the back and added to the cohesiveness of the piece. With your guitar being inherently asymmetrical the question of how to best “divide space” was key. With a nod to Carmen Herrera this is where I’m at:

image2 by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

More to come!

Last edited by tkoehler1; 02-10-2018 at 10:07 PM.