View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
he decided it best to find another top, as this one was no longer up to his standards for this instrument.
I guess he'll be using it on mine then?!

I had this happen with Tom Sands. He braced a top for me and found that it didn't respond the way he wanted - it is wood afterall, and unpredictable as a consequence. He ditched it and made another for me: Far better outcome than persisting.

I had a nylon luthier who also found a blemish that could be mistaken for a crack in a cedar top he was building for me. He offered me the choice of persisting or starting with another top. TBH, I think he was a bit surprised (and dissapointed) when I opted for another top but the type of person whom commissions a custom instrument wants it perfect; just good enough won't cut it. I know of some guys who have returned guitars for the very slightest (and I mean microscopic) issue. The luthier can fight it out but in these days of social media, a few negative posts can destroy a luthier's reputation (rightly or wrongly) overnight. I know of posts right here on the AGF that have cost luthiers sales.

Cheers,
Steve