View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingers View Post
I have a Recording King RP2-626 guitar that had a poorly glued bridge and was starting to lift. I took the bridge off but now I don't have a flat surface to re-glue.

1. It appears in building the guitar they initially scored the guitar top 1/16" smaller than the bridge on all sides.
2. They then chiseled from the center to the outside creating a shoulder around the edges of 1/32" - 3/64" deep and leaving an uneven center section.
3. The bridge was then glued on with just some globs of what looks like epoxy due to its thickness.

I am assuming they did this to make sure there was no glue squeeze out during the manufacturing process. Unfortunately I am left with an uneven surface to glue. Would cleaning everything up and using epoxy make sense?
To answer your question. If you want to ever get the bridge off again don't use epoxy. Scrap off the old glue and scrape the finish just to the edge of the bridge.

Make certain you remove the glue from the bottom of the bridge as well.

Once you have wood all the way to the edge of the bridge, glue it on with titebond I or II. Both are fine. After it dries. Ream the pin holes if you have glue squeeze out, restring and enjoy.