View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
+ The difference between GPU and CPU..(I have to laugh, as I did not understand this) is G is for Graphics. And according to him..will make no difference in Recording...only the CPU's
More or less correct but not totally CPU stands for Central Processing Unit and yes the audio processing is done there
GPU is as he stated Graphics Processing Unit
So the CPU is more important in Audio... BUT do be aware the all visual digital aspects off the DAW ( the way it looks and functions visually on the screen) the way it revels waveforms all the visual aspects of all the adjustments. All the visual aspects of the plugins are all handled by the GPU so the better the GPU interfaces with the CPU the smoother and quicker the visual aspects of the DAW will work. (Make sense ?)
What is great about the Apple silicon is The CPU and GPU and the RAM are all on the same chip so there is quicker communication (interfacing) and more efficiency between those functions. ON intel they are all on different chips so the interfacing is slower and less efficient .
Quote:
+ And now for a controversial statement he made: He explained cores are somewhat like speakers in a cabinet. More speakers means means load is divided more evenly..
Basically True, and also more cores means more efficiency in the use of f the CPU so more complex sessions can be run with less cliches and less likely to Max out the CPU And compared to Intel Apple silicon will get better overall performance per core

Quote:
He further said" "Some people claim that recording might even sound better than my old 2 core intel 2009 computer...as they can process all of the bits of information."
I think not really in any noticeable way. Just more cores is "more processing power" faster and more efficient not better Per. se.

Quote:
+ He also said this is one of the reasons why the 27 inch was discontinued as it uses intel and is no match for the MI chip.
Well sort of But I think It is probably more likely they stopped buying the intel chips for the 27" iMac and have sold them out . The big question now is will Apple bring out an M chip series 27" or will that simply as sdelsolray mentioned consider the Mac Studio and 27 Studio Display as the "replacement" ????

Quote:
From what he had to say...is the MI in itself is so far above any of the intel chips.
Well Yes and no Yes in its weight class, on a per core basis and anything close on a per dollar basis ? most definitely. In a comparison to the all out top Intel and ADM chips No,, but those machines will be way more expensive than the M1 mini or M1 24" iMac.

Quote:
3. What does the 10BG ethernet cable allow me over the standard? My current interface just plugs into usb.

With an interface that connects via USB or Thunder Bolt --- Ethernet connection will not matter.
10 GB ethernet is simply faster than Gigabit Ethernet (which is 1 GB) I only mentioned the 10 GB ethernet because my interface connects to the computer with ethernet. But as sdelsolray mentioned TB 3-4 are faster yet I am guessing the reason Avid used it on the Carbon interface is that has onboard DSP Audio processing chips so it does not need T4 for lowest possible round trip latency AND Eithernet is How Avids digital consoles connect

Getting late More tomorrow

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-11-2022 at 07:29 AM.