View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minexploration View Post
Bruce,

Your guitar was the first i have seen with these style tuners in an actual build photo. I am having a flamenco negra built and saw this style of tuner on the Rogers site, any experience good or bad would be appreciated. I know yours was a steel string but your thoughts in general would be nice. Thanks for all the amazing build pictures and info that you share.

Jrw
The two things I remember about the LaCote tuners are that they made the headstock ridiculously fragile, and that I didn't charge nearly enough for the installation. I suspect I didn't charge anything extra past the cost of the tuners, and it ought to be something like $500. That do look pretty cool, if not entirely traditional.

I am in Abilene TX at the moment. We are about to embark on the slog across the storm, which does not show signs of abating at any point between now and the show. Is in doing the thunderstorm thing at the moment, having started, for us, about 2 hours ago.

We lingered in the southwest for far longer than we had originally intended, and it was truly great for us. Not to mention that the weather was nearly ideal. The previous two nights were spent camping in the desert at Guadlupe Mtn in one of the nicest semi primitive campsites it has been my pleasure to experience. I say my pleasure because it was a bit more primitive than Linda had hoped, having neither hot water nor showers (as the ranger at The Caverns had promised).

I think I mentioned that the reason I brought the pernambuco L00 was that I suspctd it would have an issue with the dryness in the southwest, and I wanted to subject it to trial by fire, as it were. If it didn't succumb to the low humidity thn I culd comfortably sell it for full price, and if it did, well the price would become relatively negotiable. I have been playing it every day and I anm going to hat to part with it when the time comes as it is "what we're talking about" when we talk about the best guitars around. As suspected, the price is going to be negotiable, but at least I won't have to wonder. It cracked in the upper bout of the back, and when it did it was so loud my wife heard it from across the campsite. The crack is in the slabiest part, right where we quartersawing fanatics say it will.