Thread: One mic concept
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Jecklin or ORTF is meant to approximate your ears, but there are lots of other issues. If you recorded, say, from 12 inches away, and then listen to headphones, you should get a reasonable close approximation of what you would hear if you were listening from the same spot. Of course, as sdelsolrey points out, we usually don't listen to a guitar with our ears a few inches from the soundhole. And up close, our ears don't have proximity effect the same way mics (at least cardiods) do, so there may be some differences. Once you get further back, you're hearing the guitar from a more realistic audience perspective, but the room starts to dominate, and mics don't pick up quite the same way as our ears/brains, so the sound may not seem so similar.

Kev, there's also the whole collection of raw tracks in Scott Wigham's "library" that he and I recorded using different mic patterns that you could play with. That was partly why Scott set up that collection, so people could play around with raw unprocessed tracks. I'm confused about the goal tho, you just want to know if someone can hear specific stereo techniques, including artificial processing? I'd say yes, some of the time, especially if you're listening on good monitors and know what your listening for, and other times no. A very definitive "maybe" :-)
Hey thanks perhaps I'll give some of those a try also ( on his web sight I take it ?). Yes I am curious as to what can actually be heard by people in general and more importantly If I can enough of difference to consistently identify and differentiate a (spaced pair) stereo track from specifically a duped mono set. I could indeed hear for example the differences in the tracks you posted early on. And interestingly I thought the mono track had the best overall definition and detail, although admittedly lacking in overall presence and width comparatively. I am listening on some older KRK V8's which I would rate mid level.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4