View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
The nut is just not that hard if you read how to do it and get the tools.
It's not that it is hard ONCE you know what to do. But that's the rub. But unless you're doing a lot of guitars good nut files cost $$. My tech only charges me a pittance for adjusting my guitars' nuts. The adjustments for a pro just takes seconds. And the trick is to get the nut slots *just* low enough for clearance for ease of play... But one file stroke too many and you're looking at buying a new nut and starting over.

Quote:

It honestly feels to me like it's harder to be precise sanding a saddle.

When you work on the saddle everyone tells you to just hand sand it on a piece of sandpaper. No jig or tooling to force you to hold it level and sand it evenly in all directions. Oops.. you just lowered the treble side more than the bass side. Oops, the bottom of the saddle is no longer perpendicular to the bridge. Etc, etc, etc...
I'm exactly the opposite. You can use anything with a 90° angle as a jig and just coat the bottom with a sharpie market to insure that you sand it evenly. If you're using anything as a square jig it's simple to keep it even by periodically rotating the saddle which helps you check to see if you're keeping it square. If you have a lot to sand, just take a measurment for a rough sand and when you get to that point, then use the sharpie. To make sanding easier I use a piece of gaffer tape attached to the side of the saddle as a "handle" so that it moves smoothly and evenly across the sand paper. I've successfully fit 3 bone saddles with zero previous experience. I'm not sure what the big deal is.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS