View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Default The NYRs at the gym! (a minor rant!)

I knew it would happen and, of course, in the past I've been one.

I have to go to the gym three times a week - it's not about the body beautiful, its about regaining my strength and stamina after all the fun and frolic with cancer in 2017.

Despite the consultants reluctance, my GP (who knows me well) made a medical referral to the gym, and I began my remedial work on this day last year.

Oh but the New Year's resolution folk!

I thought I'd worked out the least busy times to go, but the gym is full of overweight people staring confusedly at the machines, getting things wrong, gazing at their phones (sadly a major issue esp. with the younger folk) or just sitting on the machines gazing into middle distance.

... and to add insult to injury - they keep using my favourite bench in the changing room!

I'm helping one of the Personal Trainers with some business admin advice and I was checking out his website yesterday - he writes:

"Hundreds appear in the gym after 1st January looking for gym induction. The gym is inundated! They have woken up in the new year, to transform themselves just because it’s the new year.
After the excesses of Christmas and new year, they are determined to start getting fit, and whilst not critical of their intentions, unfortunately, by the end of February this tide of people starts to recede. By March, there are fewer and, by April, few have lasted the course. It is a little sad.

Then, of course he goes on to list reasons why personal trainer can help.

Never mind - they'll mostly be gone by March and I'll get "my" gym (and favourite bench) back!