View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I have very limited experience as I am also a "buy and hold" guy. However, the few items I have sold, and am currently offering are all listed on local online advertising (e.g. kijiji, craigslist, used etc). I don't have the stomach to deal with remote buyers, transaction clearing, packing, shipping etc. While I have bought most of my guitars this way, I much prefer for the buyers to check out and inspect the instruments themselves, and to hand over the cash it they buy it. That said, I live in a fairly small city so this works only because I am not in a rush to sell and can wait for months or even years.
I agree, that would be ideal. I’m just wondering if something like a viola even gets nibbles on Craigslist around here, even though I’m within 10 miles of New York City. The shop where I bought it has a really good trade-in policy, but I don’t want another bowed string, and that’s all they sell.

I’ve heard nightmare stories about PayPal, where buyers make false claims about not receiving the merchandise, or claim that it was damaged or not as described, and that the seller is treated as guilty until proven innocent. So, yes, I’d much rather sell for cash, in person...