Thread: QSC K8 or K10?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Thanks for the report, Gary.

Like Bob, your experience was pretty much what I expected to hear.

A question (you may have answered this already, forgive me if so) -- Were you primarily seated or standing for your performance? And where in relation to ear-level did that place the K-12 in terms of monitoring your sound? (I am wondering if you had to fiddle with placement in order to avoid feedback from your vocal mic.)

Thanks.

I found that the K8's seem to have the high end a bit rolled off which helped tremendously with mic placement. The EV's I use "I" feel have a little more sparkle so mic placement is a little more critical except that the horn pattern on the EV is narrower which helps again with mic placement. (If any of that makes any sense)
I raise my speakers quite a bit. I'm 6'2" and place the bottom of the cabinet right on top of my shoulder. This is a bit higher than I have done in the past with rock bands but it keeps any penetrating of the highs away from the patrons in front having dinner conversations while also getting the sound deeper in the room without any "bodies" blocking the sound. Speakers are to my left and right (left only when using one speaker. Right ear is just for show) and "just" behind even with me. I hear them perfectly without monitors. I once used my K8 as a monitor playing with a "Duo" partner and I heard more sound coming from the mains as I did from my k8.