View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrops View Post
How does the GE-7 alone compare with the kk pure preamp? I'm thinking about picking up a GE-7 and using instead of the kk pure preamp. The kk pre sounds good, but I prefer the form factor of a pedal.
Hi od

GE-7 has far more self-noise (often noticeable in the mix) especially as you boost the signal to reach line levels, and no input gain control. It's very comparable to the K&K Pure, except the K&K Pure has input gain, and internal adjustments for the tone so you don't bump/change it and the batteries last a lot longer.

When compared with a similarly priced Fishman Platinum Stage preamp, the Stage wins hands down - selectable/sweepable mids takes the place of three of the 7 controls on the GE-7. The bass cut (high pass) covers 2 more zones of the 7. Solid aluminum frame, and it fits in the pick drawer of any of my cases.

The Stage is $150, made of aluminum, has XLR out (full DI capability), adjustable boost (a hand switch), adjustable gain, automatic ground lift, simultaneous XLR/¼" output, selectable (by frequency) bass cut (high pass), phase control, selectable output set to either with tone adjustments, or pre-EQ, and it can be powered by phantom power from a board/amp.

It's a hidden gem in the single channel acoustic guitar/bass preamp market.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…