View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 09:24 AM

I have owned a few Guilds. All imports except 2. A 70's D40 and a True American (which I detested) but that could have been me getting a dud.

There aren't a lot of Guilds out there to play. I have purchased on-line and been quite fortunate but was willing to eat the freight if I had to do a return. Cheaper than taking the depreciation hit on selling a used guitar. THe current Westerly line is full of ALL kind of spec variations so maybe ask yourself:

1) Do I have a preference of burst over natural? Some models only come in natural which I have grown tired of.

2) Do I want a cutaway?

3) Does the guitar need to be all solid wood? Many of Guilds laminates with solid top sound pretty durn good.

4) Do I want an Orchestra, OM, Dred, Dred Slope, Jumbo, or 00 ? Lots of variances there as well.

5) What width nut?

6) Shape of neck front to back? Some are thicker than others.

7) Do you prefer the arch back over a flat back?

8) Pickups? Doesn't matter. I find it nice if one is included for the occasional times that I want to plug in and do not feel like sticking a sound hole pup in.

I am clearly addicted to Guild Guitars but I just can not spend the monies on an American made (God bless you guys that can) Guild and I only buy relatively new used or brand new guitars.

Spend a lot of time looking at the specs and maybe you might even find one to try. Good Luck on your hunt!