View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Very easy to check - and correct - using a typical $15 clip-on tuner: just compare the 12th-fret harmonics on the low- and high-E to their respective fretted notes and slowly and gently move the entire bridge, as a unit, forward/backward until they match (just make sure the strings remain centered over the pickups/polepieces - use the D and G strings as your guide - and the bridge base feet are flush with the top) - shouldn't take any more than 10-15 minutes, and you'll reap major dividends in tone...
Just to confirm, if the fretted note is sharp compared to the harmonic, move the bridge away from the neck. If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic, move the bridge toward the neck. Is that correct?

Quote:
You've clearly got a newer model (the 15th/17th fret inlays are the giveaway - older versions ended at the 12th fret)- just curious whether those Grover-style tuners are now OEM, as they are on the Montreal Premiere...
According to the previous owner, everything is OEM on it.

Quote:
As I stated in a prior thread the CW II is an old-school hollowbody in every respect and, as such, truly comes into its own only when played through a low-mid-powered tube or analog SS ('80s/90s Peavey, Roland JC, pre-1985 Randall "orange-stripe"/"grey-stripe", Fender " '65 blackface" Frontman, etc.) amp - for a variety of reasons prices are going up on both new and used gear compared to a year or two ago, so you might want to begin your search as soon as time/funds permit...
I'm downsizing right now, but will start to look after a couple of things sell.

Quote:
Glad to see you're enjoying it from the get-go; FYI my wife - who, in spite of the fact that we've been married over 30 years, detests archtops in any form (go figure...) - has on more than one occasion said "this song really needs an archtop" and happily reached for my blonde CW II, so as Robert Godin himself would say, there's unquestionably some je ne sais quoi attached to this model...

Good luck - use it well and often...
Sounds like it add a little spice to things Chez DeRosa... and thanks again for your help.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 04-19-2021 at 08:51 AM.