Thread: Anthem + K&K
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 PM

Yes, the tone shaping in the element circuit didn't work so great with the K&K in the Anthem. I think if I had a Venue (2 sweepable mids + bass, etc), I probably could have made it work. But it would have required a LOT of EQ, compared to the K&K + Lyric where I had them on separate channels... a lot easier to EQ.

There are countless threads explaining the Anthem crossover... it's something like you explain. When the mix is 100% toward the mic, it's only everything above 250 Hz and the Element covers the low end. But when it's 100% Element, the mic is OFF. That's a generalization, I'm sure they do something tricky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
How does the Pure Mini sound when the mix control is in full pickup position? I would have guessed that any "tone shaping" in the Element circuit would be overly bassy for the Pure Mini.

Regarding your comment that the mix control changes the crossover frequency, it was my understanding that the mix control blends in the full spectrum of the pickup frequencies. I thought the crossover frequency was fixed at 250Hz. In other words, when the mix control is on full mic, the mic supplies all the frequencies above 250Hz and the pickup supplies all frequencies below 250Hz. Have the Baggs folks stated that the crossover frequency changes somewhat with the mix setting? Ido recall Lloyd Baggs saying that they do something a little tricky with the mixer.

Regarding the handling noise issue, the Anthem doesn't pick up nearly as much handing noise as the Lyric because the Anthem's lower mic frequencies (below 250 Hz) are filtered out of the output signal (and replaced by a less top-responsive UST signal).
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 01-18-2015 at 10:27 PM.