View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
But, it did just occur to me to look, and I found out that my university has a fully equipped wood shop for art and design students that has a drum sander.

Problem is, I work for a different unit in the university. I'll shoot off an email later and see if I can get access... though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they said no.
MANY years ago, I commissioned the machinist who ran the machine shop in the Engineering Department of the local university to make me some truss rod nuts and blocks. It cost me very little, and he was happy to do it.

Might be that whomever runs the wood shop at your university might be happy to run the back and sides through the drum sander for a few bucks.

Does it really matter who owns the sander, you or someone else? Having someone else do it isn't a cop-out. It's knowing one's (current) limitations - and preferences - and working around them.

Lots of luthiers farm-out work they either don't want to do or can have done better, faster or cheaper than they can do it themselves. It frees them to do other things, often things they prefer doing.