View Single Post
Old 02-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi GC...
I used an LRBaggs dual source rig in my Olson for nearly 7 years with an LB6 saddle and the internal mic. I ran the mic at full volume and the pickup about 1/3 of the way up, and a feedback buster in the soundhole (that I cut to fit around the edge-clamp volume).

I never had feedback and it sounded awesome. A friend liked it so much he installed the ribbon/mic version and suffered nothing but tone frustration till he switched the ribbon for an LB6 saddle. The LB6 is a Baggs unit with 6 piezo elements mounted in a brass bar that is topped with micarta which is shaped into the saddle. It is both hotter and mellower than the ribbon (it is a full saddle replacement, not an undersaddle piezo).

Eventually it began showing it's age, so I replaced the rig with a K&K pure western mini and K&K silver bullet mic dual source (passive) and I use an external blender which I mix 50/50 mic to pickup ratio. I like the K&K better - the tone is even more full (I now have the K&K dual source rigs in 3 of 4 guitars-the other just has a mini).

I've played iBeams in several guitars, but they were always lacking in the treble end, fed back easily and were a bit anemic tonewise compared to others out there (PUTW and K&K). They were very touchy to get placed correctly under there. The K&Ks run circles around them for fullness, woodiness, gain and tone quality.

I like the Baggs dual source rigs with an LB6 and mic...I love the K&K dual source with mini and a mic. Either can be setup to sound really nice.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…