View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 09:49 PM

Default Recording rookie tries condenser mic

Hello gang,
I just tried out my new AT 2035 mic, running it into a Spire Studio (which supplied the necessary phantom power). I wasn't actually recording, just listening to the signal of the preamp output through headphones. All of this took place singing and playing in an untreated room with lots of soft surfaces.

I was very surprised by two things:

1. The extraordinary sensitivity of the mic at both ends of the sound spectrum.

2. My perception of the sound of the vocals as emphasizing the higher tones, significantly so. This, as compared to what I had been used to with my Audix i5 dynamic mic.

I'm wondering if I should return the AT 2035. I know that many of you have emphasised the importance of treating the room, but the reality is that I am unlikely to do that, as we may be moving to a new home within the next year. I am not trying to make professional quality recordings, just good quality ones to share with family.

I invite your opinions! Thanks,

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.