View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks, arie! One thing I notice about working with the thinner stuff is that there's not much refraction when tracing. Chip-out has been an issue but I'm "eyeballing" the curve as well.

FWIW I'm considering everything I've cut to this point to be just "rough drafts." The shapes for the bender are "borderline" given that the wood is also sandwiched between a heating pad and two pieces of metal so cupping shouldn't be too much of an issue. The molds OTOH are no good - I'd prefer that the wood be allowed to "rest" in something closer to the final shape and the outlines are way off - more than 3/8" in places. I have even attempted making a spreader yet either.

One thing I'm realizing is that up to this point I'm just doing set up and not actually into the build itself - other than the joining and thicknessing we've been doing at YJ's. I want to get the set up right though because as I learn more the bug is taking even tighter hold and I'm thinking about how much easier it would be the next time around.