View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:13 AM

Yeah, it makes sense to buy a little thicker grade plastic and then use the band saw to cut it without worry of chipping, then some 220 grit to clean up the rough spots and you're good to go, eh?

... but where's the fun in that when I have the cheap stuff here and it's already traced?

Last night I was up until 1AM working on my THIRD attempt and I got pretty close. I bought a hobby knife and used a cheap pair of orange safety scissors to cut out a semi-mold that's not perfect - there are a couple of "chips" inside the line and a piece that needs to be glued back on - but close to "good enough" for my purposes. I wish I had a camera I'm so proud of it!

The trick is to LIGHTLY score the plastic using short side to side scratching motions for accuracy and removal of material so that you're digging a miniscule trench that will contain the break instead of cutting along the outline and dealing with cracks that seem to have a mind of their own.

I may give it another go though. I'm big into self torture like that! First I have a band saw I need to figure out. Then I'm going to go price plywood at Lowe's. BTW YJ, I hear there's a place in Tanger's Outlets that sells reconditioned power tools real cheap!