View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 08:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wink Its like a Carbon Guitar, Only Smaller...

Hi Guys,

I thought id share some images (which i took while walking my dogs this morning, the snow arrived in Ireland a month late!) of what I've been working on over the last few months. This is one of my ukes. I started with a uke because its so small and awkward.

Essentially, I have developed a unique system for moulding a full instrument in a single step. No joins, no seams, and no material or features that exist just to aid resin flow. The process requires no additional openings on the body, and the same strands of carbon you see on the headstock run the full length of the instrument unobstructed, resulting in improved vibration transfer throughout.

I can also achieve a much thinner minimum thickness with only two layers of carbon. There is no gel coat, and the uke in the images has only some airbrushing (vintage Gibson Silverburst vibes) and a single layer of clear coat.

The top and rear of the body are balanced in a computer simulation, and stiffened in key areas. It's still just a passion project :P

Let me know what you think! I've another ready for paint this week, although I'm thinking about trying a solid colour on that one!

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2021 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Edited to comply with rules.