View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Default The Wrap Up!

So it's been about 3 weeks since this Padauk puppy arrived home, so I feel like it's time for some final comments. I don't think there has been but one or two days that I haven't played it--it's been in the daily playing rotation nearly everyday, even if only for a short time period.

My picture taking abilities don't compare to Ryan's, so I won't even try to match them here. I will say that as amazing as the pics are, they don't compare to seeing it in person. I know everyone always says that, but it's true! The Padauk back and sides come alive as you turn the guitar around in your hands--it's like literally on fire. Amazing! And as beautiful as the Padauk is, I don't know if it's been mentioned what an awesome Adi top this guitar has. Darker grain lines, pink coloring, silking, this top has it all as well as a subtle feathering and it comes together towards the bottom.

This guitar really delivers the tone as well. I'm not good at describing tone, so I'll just offer up a few comments. It's been a fun process to hear it develop over the past few weeks--the bass has become more prominent and focused, but it's a very balanced guitar. It has a good punch and attack to it without being too bright and has warmed up more and more during my time with it. And the sustain--you can go get a glass of iced tea and come back and it's still ringing, waiting for you to come back and continue where you left off! I play with a pick and a fairly strong attack and this guitar responds in kind and doesn't back down.

So in short, I love it! But as amazing as this guitar turned out, that's not what it's all about for me. It's about the friendships developed with Steve, Ryan, and Billie. It's about the time hanging out in the shop, telling stories around the dining room table at lunchtime and dinner, and experiencing the magic and mojo that happens there on a daily basis. It's all about the experiences. I can't thank Ryan and the Kinnairds enough for taking me in and allowing me to be a small part of their lives for awhile and to come out of it with a wonderful guitar to boot!

If anyone has the inkling to do a student build with Steve and Ryan, do it! I can guarantee that you'll never regret it and will come away with memories to last a lifetime.

Thanks for everyone who has followed along and offered up their comments. I've enjoyed reading every one of them. I'll have this guitar with me at the BIG-III--so come and check it out for yourself.

Time to go pick and play some guitar!

Cheers--Kevin
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

Last edited by Nemoman; 06-28-2022 at 01:52 PM. Reason: correction