View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 08:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
"I am enjoying switching over to more hand tools. Once I have the right tool and get a handle on how and where to best use it I find it is a wonderful way to work and I believe I am making better guitars in the process."

In a world full of computer made stuff, this is most inspiring to me.

I believe Bruce Sexauer and John Kinnaird as well as Steve Kinnaird and his Shop partner Ryan Middlebrook all use very few power tools.

Gentlemen please correct me if I am wrong! Haha

Looking great, Mark!

Carry on

Paul
Thanks Paul, The fact is hand tools have gotten much better. The designs and materials have been quietly improving over the decades which is bringing on a resurgence of handwork. The truth of the matter is that the less power you have between you and your work the closer you are to it.

Speaking of handwork. When it comes to guitar finishes no other finish keeps your hands busier than French polish which I am doing on this 00. I just finished my first sessions with many more to come:

Generally a session is three applications about twenty minutes apart. I usually will do three sessions in a day a couple hours apart. Then I skip a day and have at it again. This goes on until I have built up enough to knock it back flat and shine it up. There is more to it but, that's generally the flow.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-19-2021 at 03:04 AM.