View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 01:31 AM

I was complaining the same thing. Just wasn’t seeing the results despite legitimate time being put in.

I think it’s important to be persistent always but obsessive only in short bursts, like 30 minutes to an hour at most.

Then leave it behind. Do something else. Forget the guitar.

Come back a few hours later.

The most recent learning research suggests that 8 hours a day is just not efficient for anyone.

I obsessively practiced a passage for two weeks. We are talking two measures. And it is better. You have to just record yourself and you will see. But your goal has to be perfection. Then you won’t get there but you will see improvement.

And a side note like the karate kid is that movement where I needed bar shapes and stretches that I had never done before resulted in me being able to do the caged system g chord d chord and c chord barres for the first time ever. I didn’t practice them but I tried it again a month later and I was shocked I could do it. Totally shocked. I distinctly remember trying many times and saying it’s not possible. I then remembered that I had tuned a half step down for a song and left it there. So I figured fools gold I still can’t do these Harder caged shapes. So I tuned the guitar back up to standard and I could still do it.

Focus on a challenging piece of music that you really want to learn how to play. Determine to be able to play it perfectly very slowly. Along the way you will pick up skills unknowingly. When you go back to easier stuff you will realize that those chord changes, those finger stretches aren’t so tough anymore.