View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Default BRUCE SEXAUER: FT-16-C (Adirondack Spruce/Australian Blackwood)

As Bruce mentioned in his general build thread/shop journal (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...&postcount=135), he is beginning a new commission for me (My fourth Sexauer!).

This will be a larger guitar whose shape is based upon a J-185. This is a large bodied shape with a narrow waist. Bruce has made many 16” guitars but he has never made a J-185 shape. Because build methodology does not rely upon the use of molds (he builds in the air!), he can build pretty much any guitar shape a client desires. Under the hood I expect that the guitar will have very little to do with a J-185 and will be pure Bruce.

Here are the basic specs. below:

Lower Bout Width: 16”
End Depth: 4-1/4” to 4-1/2”
Scale Length: 25-3/8”
Nut Width: 1-3/4”
String Spacing: 2-1/4”
Fingerboard Radius: 16”
Cutaway: Venetian
Wedge: 1/4”-5/16”

Top Wood: Adirondack Spruce
Body Wood: Australian Blackwood
Neck: One-Piece Honduran Mahogany
Fingerboard: Gaboon Ebony
Bridge: Indian Ebony
Rosette: Koa/Maple
Bindings/Head-plate/End-graft: Amazon & Madagascar Rosewood
Tuners: Schaller GrandTune Gold Butterbean
Fret Wire: Jescar EVO Gold 43080
Case: Harptone

Bruce’s “Journeyman Grade” comment is a little joke between us about the all too common wood grade inflation that we see (e.g. Master Grade, AAAAA, your some special designation to a terroir or history etc.). Bruce selected an aesthetically nice (AAA) set of Adirondack (Red) Spruce for the top that was dead on quarter at the center seam that had little deviation towards to outer edges of the set. More importantly, he was excited about its acoustic potential for this large bodied project. He had a set of “Old Stardard” that we considered, but for this project his instincts recommended this set which had less provenance.

Here is a shot of the unjoined set.

Here is the set being joined on Bruce’s bench.

I believe that this will be Bruce’s 8th Australian Blackwood guitar in the last two decades where he has consistently recorded his work. Aside from the aesthetic beauty of its figure, we chose this set because Bruce felt that its acoustic contribution fell between what a mahogany and rosewood which was supportive of our sonic target on this larger bodied guitar. Australian Blackwood’s physical properties are different than its cousin Acacia (Koa). On average, it tends to be much stiffer and its density can range widely.

Here is a shot of the unjoined set.

Here is the set being joined on Bruce’s bench.

More, when I get it....

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 01-01-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Updated Specs.