View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 09:51 PM

i only play 12 string about 5 per cent of the time, if that so i can't justify buying a high end one, but when last out in vancouver i stumbled on a hand made sax 12 by shelley sax, a maker stroingly influenced by jean claude larrivee in the seventies. i heard he became a university professor and stopped making guitars. the sax has one of the best sounds i have ever heard from a small round body 12. i prefer the small round body 12s. they are plenty loud and don't need the jumbo body , especially if you finger pick the 12 as i do. this one has some neck issues which i have to fix soon. a warbble in the middle so it plays well with high but ok action. i'd rather perfect action as 12s are twice as much work for the fingers. so i'll get that fixed. other wise a find at under $500 canadian dollars. soild rodewood back and sides and spruce top.

my player is a japanese haruo, all laminate but a great sounding cheapo for all occasions. great set up good tone.

the best i ever played for finger picking was a tie between a taylor round body and a guild dreadnaught with rosewood back and sides--not the classic guild. the dread body is crisper for finger picking. the famous jumbos are more flatpickers guitars. there is a local guy selling a beneteau 12 which was great but he wants a high price. thats for a full time 12 player.