View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I still say that the HFN is closer to the Lr Baggs lyric in terms of tone. To me, it’s extremely balanced in that no frequencies really dominate the signal. That reminds me of the lyric. As a result, many are put off by the lack of enhanced bass. I know I miss it sometimes. It’s thicker sounding than the lyric, it just reminds me of it.

The k&k on the other hand has a thicker overall tone. I just feel as though the strings have more beef behind them. There’s also more bass and midrange. I like that the HFN is clearer but I also like the low end of the K&k.
Agreed. The K&K remains an industry standard by which the rest are measured for a reason. It also beats the passive HFN with its output. It sends a much hotter signal out - very impressive for a passive pickup. And I agree about the ‘thickness’ of tone. Sometimes you don’t want an articulated sound. I’ve often listened to a K&K equipped guitar through our system and wondered why I’d ever want for more. But I think it’s downside is the Same-ness to the tone of the K&K in different guitars, the glue for sure, and the quack that sometimes comes through.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....