View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Been playing sans audience (except one gig) for months now. Yet I am playing more than ever.
Hobbies, Playing . . . words like that are accurate.

One of the genres I went through in the early 70's was modal music. So lately I have been playing outside with taste. It rekindles after the decades of daily acoustic playing.

I still do Travis picking. Sometimes with an upper fifth bass line just for the heck of it (so I don't sound like Bobby Gentry). I do it with a click headphone from Ableton. I shape the click sound from The Abbey Road Suite. A software kick drum recorded from Ringo's actual early 1960's kit. A soft, easy to live with, beat. Then I play in time, accurately, right brain for minutes. I sit up. SHoulders up and back. I play music structure. Lately I have been calling this marching band time.

Yet some of my most creative play comes with my mind elsewhere, phrased interestingly.

The majority of my playing is melody maker. I know so many conversions and colored chords. I do alot of right hand syncopation too, from all the R&B piano I played in HS bands. Who knows the crazy branches of brain that I left to wither? But apparently there are others that I have propagated? It's 3.7 octaves of how you split it up.

Good ol' Acoustic. A hobby that offers quite a lot.