View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Jackson Browne at Beacon - Terrible sound mix

Went to see Jackson Browne last night at the Beacon Theater here in NYC. This is generally my favourite venue in NYC - and I usually try to sit dead center, first 2 rows of the Loge. Saw Jackson Browne last night, and for 2/3's of the show, the sound mix was just awful. He had a full band with him - this wasn't an unplugged, or acoustic show. That said, his guitarist (Val McCallum) was dialed up way too loud, with terrible tone to boot. The rest of the band was, even when Val wasn't soloing, muddy. I'm not sure the crowd realized all that much - it was definitely a fan show - but I found that it really decreased my enjoyment of the show. They must have made an adjustment partway into the second set, because his guitar was dialed back and the tone improved - but even then, the general mix was still muddy. First time I've been to a top tier act at the Beacon (a relatively small venue) that had such horrible sound mixing. I'm wondering if others have experienced this type of thing at top tier shows?