View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Here is a very old article that mentions a few of the alterations that can be made to wine (adding sugar, adding oxygen, adding yeasts, de-alcoholization) as it ferments. And I have read about others (but cannot easily locate an article that mentions specifics). And, I have heard (to do not claim that this is a fact) that such alterations and interventions are more common in the US.

And, there is the issue (again, I don't know the facts) of the use of chemical pesticides and weedkillers.

My primary assertion is that my wife and I find most European wines more agreeable to our systems: much of the time, the consumption of a California wine (and other wines made in the States) leaves a trace of discomfort for us that is not nearly as common when we drink European wines. YMMV.

https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes....is-worthwhile/
This what I know .
Every winery and grower uses herbicides and pesticides .
Sulfites are nearly universally used to stop fermentation when the product reaches it's desired level/specific gravity . They are monitored on a regular basis so as to know when .
Wine is aged in oak barrels for a specific amount of time in order to introduce tannins and flavor . Typically American or European White Oak is used and the interior of the barrel is charred/flamed as desired for flavoring purposes . The barrels are kept wetted on their exterior in order to help prevent them from drying out and leaking .
The wine will often be racked more than once after being removed from the oak barrels in order to eliminate the lees from the wine and is then bottled . If necessary , certain chemicals may be added in order to clarify the wine before bottling .
These are standard practices across the globe .
Many wines are blends .
This year , where I have been picking grapes , roughly 30% of the grape production rotted on the vines because of how much rain we got and how often it rained and none of the reds fully matured . None of this vineyards grapes made it to oak barrels . All of the reds were used for Rose . A very tough year , but that is agriculture . May next year be a vintage year .
I was picking grapes at the Waltz Winery which is just outside of Manheim .