View Single Post
Old 12-14-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Of course that's a repair under warrantee on a guitar that is only a few months old. I know the US has some different consumer rights legislation compared to other parts of the world but such a bridge failure must surely be covered.

In the UK, it would be the retailer's responsibility to fix this. The guitar owner would not deal with Martin direct but return the goods to where they were bought as "not fit for purpose" and the retailer would need to repair, refund or replace. In UK law there would be an expectation that a guitar's bridge would not become unglued after a few months of general use - because it is not the "industry norm" for a guitar's bridge to become unglued after a few months of general use. And a purchaser can have reasonably expected that their guitar's bridge would not come unglued after a few months of general use. The responsibility, in law, rests with the retailer. And it would be up to the retailer or manufacturer to prove that the product had been mistreated, not for the purchaser to prove that they had not mistreated the product.

If this happened to me in the UK and I didn't get a satisfactory result then the Trading Standards office would be all over the retailer like a rash - and the small claims courts would be on my side.

Martin don't offer their "lifetime guarantee" outside the US but they still have to follow the trading laws in the countries where they sell - and that doesn't always go down to well (as Fender found out recently LOL!!!!).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.