View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Assess the type of truss rod you have once the board is off, a generic one may fit, alternatively take the broken one to a local welding shop and have them repair it, or substitute parts to make it work again.

The binding may break when being removed, regluing it back on is traditionally done using binding glue and tape, but you can binding glue and elastic band wrap the neck

Steve
Good thing my dad is our local welder. I'll check it out once it's removed, but if the measurements are close I'll probably try to replace it with a new one.

I've already got binding tape in my shopping cart, but I'll have to go back for the glue. My issue though was with the trim sticking out over the top of the body. Because I can't get a band around it, is there some sort of clamp I should get for it? Should I try to put the trim back on the fretboard before I put the fretboard on the neck?

Don't know if you can tell from this photo, but the binding has already started to separate from the fretboard in this area. Presumably because it was so dried out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Just to cover the basics, at least from my understanding, truss rods don't usually break so much as they tend to have the adjustment nut strip it's threads. If that's what's wrong, stewnC sells a thing for that.
Unfortunately, I know what you're referring to - but I don't think there's a way for that to work with this truss rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Taking off and remounting a fret board is a really hard job to do well (with that I have real world experience) and I wouldn't attempt without, at least the supervision of someone who knows exactly what to expect. For instance, one of the complications I ran into was that the poly finish is thicker (and far stronger) than I expected and even though I'd heavily scored the
joint line, it didn't come apart in a clean split. This caused larger air under the finish chips that I didn't expect to have to deal with.

I would've been smarter to do the work as part of a repair course or hire a repair guy to oversee.
Yeah, I don't know if having a good luthier on-hand will be possible, but I do have several people within reach online. The poly finish is what I'm most worried about too. I'll just have to take it millimeter by millimeter and hope for the best, I suppose.

Another question - how do I go about clamping the fretboard down to the body close to the sound hole? As in, the area pictured above.

Last edited by thechoochlyman; 02-08-2018 at 09:10 AM.