View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 02:21 PM
just peeking....

Default What makes a successful acoustic performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_m
After a few failed attempts previously, I've decided to take another stab at playing live. I've played lots of open mics, a few clubs, a wine tasting, a house concert and was even invited as a featured performer at a songwriter's showcase. However, I would say that most of my shows have not been successful. I don't feel like I engaged the audience as much as I should.

Given this type of performance, what would YOU like to experience that would make the show enjoyable for you? In past acoustic, instrumental concerts you've attended what did especially enjoy, and what did you dislike?

Consider yourself part of a focus group. I don't have any free sandwiches to give you, but your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

David
I too have a series of failed attempts at producing a successful live shows but after pondering and reflecting hard at these failures, I now have come to enjoy more my musical engagements than before.

There are several factors but I think one of the biggest challenges we have is establishing RAPPORT from a given audience and I’d like to share some of the strategies I’ve personally implemented to tackle the issue.

Like some have suggested, its also very good to include popular songs to your repertoire but unless you have very good rapport, you may still feel that your performance was not well received afterwards.
For instance, no matter how funny the jokes a comedian may have, if he/she doesn’t warm up the audience pretty well, aside from good delivery of the jokes, he may not see the audience “laughing with him.”

One thing I’ve learned hard when performing live at certain events is to eliminate the “I” attitude and focus more on the “They.” In other words, for most part when performing live I’ve come to accept that “its not about me” but “its about them.”

Have you ever performed live at a wedding reception and felt that, while people were having their meals, nobody was really paying attention to your music? Well the reality is, they are. You, the performer, are actually a big part of the “ambience” of what the wedding reception is all about. You are a big part of what they will remember even years after the wedding. Sometimes its hard for some people to relate to this, but in order for your performance to shine, IMO, is to detach yourself or your “ego” from the specific situation.
And I have done that by simply enjoying myself- getting to know the people, enjoying the place, enjoying the food- just having a grand time.

I have a friend who once owned a small coffee shop/restaurant and for almost a year, I together with 2 other friends performed acoustic guitar and song alternately every Friday night. I use to be so uptight before and during the performances up until another good friend of mine who also plays in club gigs suggested what he does- PLAY HOST TO THE PLACE!
So in between breaks, I would look around for the “friendly bunch,” approach them and break the ice with “is everything OK? Developing many acquaintances with customers helped me to relax, help me establish the rapport, which in turn helped me performed better.

Depending also on the event, overall preparation is the key. I was once invited to be one of the performers at a dinner/fund raising for under privileged children. I made it a point to learn all about the group/organization that organized it (even calling some active members and interviewing them) and also learned all about what the fund raising was for.
I then created a short script for my speech in between the three songs that I was told to perform (2 solo guitar instrumental, 1 with song- I carefully chose the song that would fit the occasion). I made sure I injected some humor in my speech (I think this is very important).

At the day of the event, I arrived really early (set up was not much- my amp, my mic and my guitar- that’s it!) but my purpose for being early was to greet and befriend the members of the group and meet and get acquainted to some of the guests that were coming in. Made sure I memorized some first names.
So by the time my performance was up, my plan to establish good rapport clicked, I was so relaxed my speech was so fluid, and was even able to call out some names from the audience which actually made it appear I was a member of the organizing group. My performance was well received the audience even requested an encore.

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Last edited by Mismo; 03-31-2005 at 11:40 AM.