View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

The sounds you say you like are pretty widely different, but fortunately I've found it's more about how you play (including attack, picks, strings) and the rest of your signal chain (amp, effects, speakers, volume too) than about the details of the guitar, which to me are more about playability and flexibility.

I'm a Strat guy, and a big part of that is playability for me. I like to anchor the heel of my palm on the Strat bridge and palm-mute strings sometimes, and I have a harder time doing that with a Les Paul-style tunomatic. The rest is flexibility with 5 different pickup configurations, from beefy lead (I have a hot stack pickup in the bridge position, so it's basically HSS) to glassy smooth neck pickup, and lots in between. I also have a harder time sitting down and playing a Les Paul, whereas the Strat lends itself nicely to standing or sitting.

Sound-wise, I can get pretty much everything I want out of my HSS configuration, which is just a standard Strat with a pickup swap in the bridge position.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear