View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Hi Wade,

Happy Palm Sunday! (If Palm Sunday can be happy, considering the fickle crowd in the readings.) Only one more week to go! And one full of church responsibilities, too, I know...

Last weekend I learned a Darrell Scott song, "Long Wide Open Road," and he is a big flat picker. I have been away from the flat pick for some time, but I wanted to learn this song, so what the hey...

I used my relatively inexpensive Voyage-Air OM-06 to learn the song off the computer (in case I banged it on the desk), and I thought, good, this sounds good. Then I pulled out my Martin D-35, thinking, this song needs a dreadnought. Suddenly, it didn't sound quite right... Just as you said, Wade, I had to adjust my approach on the flat pick, softening it up quite a bit from my approach on the OM. Then I thought, I wonder what this would sound like on the Gibson AJ? Well, dang, I needed to adjust my approach again to further soften up the attack even more or the song sounded too harsh with that Adi top.

Yesterday I just picked up my repaired and refreted Guild F212 12-string and this morning I played Darrell Scott's song on the 12-string, and sure enough, I needed to change my flat pick approach again until I had it sounding way better. At first, my wife said she didn't like it on the 12-string, but after I got the pick attack adjusted she said it sounded like a different song.

So yep, I know just what you mean! And these comments are coming from a relatively lousy flat picker.... Nice post, Wade!

- Glenn