View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Post recording processing

For what's it worth an outline of what I do for solo guitar recordings:

Once I have a raw stereo recording I like and can work with the usual post recording sequence I use is:

1. Balance volumes R and L and bring up to average listening level (around mid eighties decibels).
2. Check R and L phase correlation and if helpful delay one or the other channel (usually a fraction of a millisecond) for best sound. BTW doing this I need not bother placing the two mikes that I record with equidistant to the inch(es) from the guitar – that is too limiting in set up choices.
3. Equalize: I usually use just a high pass filter. Spot frequency band adjustment used on occasion for something harsh. Also BTW I have almost always been equalizing on a stereo track. However equalizing tweaks on R and L track separately (e.g. say just the right track is the culprit for a particular frequency) is an interesting thought and I may explore more of it in the future.
4. Recheck listening volume levels. May diminish or increase volume on a particular note or passage.
5. Add some sort of reverb.
6. Adjust volume level again to to a few decibels shy of clipping of the loudest note.

I don't use compression or a limiter, or dither (it's never that quiet).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above