View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Koen could you explain a little further about why you need a set of ten molds?
I can see why you might want a fancy self heating mold but I would have though a decent fibreglass mold with a tooling gelcoat surface would get you quite a few bodies and as you already have your plywood plug it would only cost you about $120 to make a new mold off that plug. What am I missing here?
I believe in sharing, although this could be viewed as a production secret.

I have made a system inspired by a sluusplant from the tv show gold rush, lol. (Modular approach).

I blurred this, i am a nice guy, but i have to think about my future.

Basicly i have split all actions, and have combined others (like glue jobs) for optimised efficiency. Some could be called jigs rather then molds...

Mold 1 makes the carbon unibody, mold 2 mills the excess trim off, then it moves to mold 3 where another action will take place. The fingerboard, rosette, and a carbonfiber rim that replaces linings will all be glued at once. Then something known from the car industry as the marriage takes place, where a completed upper section, joins a completed bottom section.

So the number of molds adds up quickly, 1 mold to mill the exact shape of the soundboard (after the rought shape was cut on a bandsaw). One mold to drill the holes in the head, etc.

My dream is to have a workshop with these molds in the proper order along the wall. I want consistency of quality and versatility. I am now designing an aluminium mold (which i can not afford ^_^ ) where i can put classical neck blocks in and also a narrower steelstring neck, and also a drop down block with headstock shape... This will make many combinations.... This way you can adapt the mold, only need 1 self heating mold, and offer choices to people. These switchable inserts will be within the vacuum perimiter, but this must be a CNC job, i could not make it so accuratly that the body lines up with the neck and the neck with the head without a resin edge or a pocket at the joint.

There is a tiny chance i will have money in a while, i was scammed out of $7500 2 years ago in the crypto currency community, and now we are winding up the company to force them to refund, i hate to do that, i am a Christian, but they took millions from people and a product was never made or shipped, no reply to mails etc. I still havent fully recovered from that financial blow. I had to let a house purchace go because the renovation budget was gone, it was a big mess.

That ammount would allow me to make a full mold set, and get some materials to get things going.

Last edited by littlesmith; 04-21-2015 at 05:27 AM.