View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30 AM

Default terrible contractor

I think it is time to speak to an attorney. Right now. If you can't afford one, let them work on a contingency basis (they may take 1/3 to 1/2) where they get paid only if successful. I have had this happen with an electrical contractor who declared bankruptcy before I could take any action.

If you are in the SL area, I have a good friend there who is honest, careful, and skilled - it's his sole living - and I can put you in touch with him if you wish.

I have quite a bit of experience now with contractors as restoring distressed homes is part of my living and there are all kinds out there, some shysters, some that cut corners, some that refuse to do something they don't feel is "right", some that earn and protect their good reputation.... When you run across one of the good ones, hang on to them and establish a good relationship as you may need him again in the future. And don't think that just because they are expensive they are better (and vice versa); it's not always that way.

Consider: you have a reputation for fine guitars. There is a strong probability that you are a perfectionist and that this carries over to other things - your addition, perhaps. Is there a chance a Court will think you had unreasonable expectations over the contractor you had?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.