View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi Necrome,

I'm sorry for the situation you find yourself in today in the midst of this worldwide pandemic.

I think you have received some good advice here. I enjoyed reading Bob Womack and Doug Young's comments, in particular, and I think they speak from a pretty authoritative point of view.

Doug's comment from his music conservatory friend -- "Music is so hard as a career that anyone who has any other viable option will quit" -- I think is true. I remember reading a very similar comment from Janis Ian once. I hope it's helpful to know from this comment how very difficult this path is, even though I already know you know this from your initial post.

I have a degree in mechanical engineering and my wife a degree in elementary education. Before I started on my engineering career as I was graduating I remember a group of friends really advised me strongly to go to Los Angeles and make a living out of music. But I was ready to get married and wanted a stable life for our family and so continued on into engineering. I retired about 5 years ago when I was age 68.

However, my wife and I did start a music company and we did some touring for about 7 years and made decent money doing community concerts and school programs. I never wanted to give up on music and I bet you won't either.

I wish you the best. Changes are hard, but most of use have learned that we are confronted with the need to change often in our lives. As an engineer I had to learn major new skills over and over as I progressed through my career. It's just part of the game, though I know it's tough every time you have to go through the stress.

- Glenn